Sunday, March 11, 2012

Los Monos Chiquitos! Among Other Things...


So in the last week I've done quite a bit. The rest of my school week went by quickly. My classes are all really simple to understand, just kidding, except chemistry which is actually easier to understand in Spanish than in English.

On Saturday I went to a little reunion of AFS at one of the volunteer's houses. There I met a few exchange students that have been here since August that I had no idea even existed. We played a few games, did some scavenger hunt type stuff and just got to know one another better. The group of people included current exchange students, returnees, future exchange students, host family members, and volunteers. 


On Sunday I went to my host mom's brother's house for one of the biggest meals I've eaten in a long time. I swear almost every meal I eat hear is as big as a Thanksgiving feast! But I'll talk more about the food eventually.


On Monday I went to the center of town for the first time and that was really fun :) Me and my host brother Nacho walked all around going into random stores, it reminded me a lot of LA mixed with 5th ave NYC. Also during school that day my class had a birthday party for about and hour and a half for one of the girls in my class.
 (Cathedral of Salta, located in 9 de Julio Square)
 (San Francisco Church)
Tuesday I got to be on a cable show for the last 5 minutes and me and my friend got to go and dance with the cast during the credits. I kind of felt like I was on the Amanda Show bringing in the dancing lobsters... partly because my face was a little red, but mostly because I was on TV dancing. After that I went to a birthday dinner for my other friend at an Italian restaurant. I ate a lot it was good. I swear with the amount I eat here I won't even have food babies anymore, I'll just have food quintuplets every meal.
 (I have no idea why they had clowns on this show. It was a share your opinion on things type show)

Wednesday I was back in the Plaza to meet up with some of the exchange students, we walked around and talked and it was a pretty good time J I was really excited to finally meet the other American in Salta! Her name is Lydia and she is from Connecticut. Finally! Someone that understands the stupid American movie, tv, and slang references I make!

On Thursday finally for a used trumpet to use while I’m here and signed up for the La Orquesta Sinfonica Juvenil de Salta, it sounds so fancy in Spanish!

On Saturday I left in the morning to go to Tucumán a 3 hour long car drive south. There we stayed at a bed and breakfast type place with a pool. I laid around and finally got a little sun.

Maybe now I won’t stand out and the skinny, pale, and blond American boy, but instead just the skinny and blonde American boy! We went into the town center for dinner and ice cream. Its funny because there were no kids on the playground at 7:30 pm, but once it hit 10:30 there were like 50 of them. I like that the kids come to the park at 10:00 and play till 12. I wish people in the US weren’t so paranoid and let kids do that!
 (completely deserted at 2 in the afternoon)
Sunday/ Today I went to the zoo! So many animals! There was one that I have never seen in America and it reminded me of a bunny/ deer. I call it the Dunny! Yup lots of wittle animals! My favorites were the monos chiquitos! They were so freakin adorable I almost died from there cuteness.
 (the "Dunnies")
(Da wittle mono eatin some grass!)

On another note, I can already tell my Spanish has gotten a lot better in the last week. While I don't feel as though my vocabulary grows more then a few words a day, I am very confident with the words I do know and I can speak way more fluidly without getting as tongue tied as I did last week.

Hope all is well with the rest of the world! Also I might add that new song by Carly Rae Jepsen, really? I showed it to people here and they just laugh at its ridiculousness! Especially after I explain the lyrics to them! I feel almost as embarrassed by this song as the Argentinians feel about the Wachiturros! Probably the worst song ever. I much prefer this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcm55lU9knw A much better song in my opinion, and popular everywhere else in the world!
 
Chau for now,
Tyler

No comments:

Post a Comment